PODS Moving Checklist
Moving house can be an exciting yet daunting task. With some planning you can simplify the process, and reduce some of the moving stress – and we want to help you with that.
Below we have put together a pretty comprehensive checklist to help take you through the planning for your move, right up to moving day, then delivery of your goods at their new location.
8 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Get a PODS quote online or call 1800 467 637.
- Create a “Move File” to keep track of all your quotes, receipts and other important information.
- Begin researching your new hometown online. The Internet is a great resource for local online newspapers and community guides.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- Make an inventory of your household goods and begin to remove clutter.
- Prepare to have a moving sale. About 3 weeks before you move can be a good time.
- Check with the your accountant for possible tax deductions including moving expenses.
6 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Ask your doctor and health care providers for referrals and obtain all medical records.
- Have antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments and other valuables appraised.
- Begin using frozen foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses to notify of your move.
4 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Schedule delivery of your PODS container/s. Call 1800 467 637.
- Use Moving Blankets to protect your items from damage during transportation. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from PODS. Discuss with the PODS Customer Care Team while scheduling your container for delivery. Moving blankets and other supplies can also be purchased by calling us or visiting auspods.com.au/boxes
- Check with your insurance company to confirm your possessions are covered during transit and at the facility. Consider the amount of PODS Contents Protection Cover you may wish to purchase.
- Schedule connection of utility services at your new home, including electricity, water, cable, Internet, telephone.
- Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits with services such as the electric company, don’t forget to request your refund.
- File a change of address with Australia Post.
- Purchase locks for your new home or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Order packing supplies such as boxes and tape. We can help with all of that. Call 1800 467 637 or visit auspods.com.au/boxes
- Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, carpeting and curtains.
- Make any necessary travel plans for your move.
- Gather personal and family records including medical and dental, veterinary and school records, legal and financial documents, birth certificates, passports and insurance documents.
3 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Hold your moving sale or sell online via eBay or Gumtree. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved or thrown out such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids and batteries.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Change the address of any current magazine subscriptions.
2 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Service your car in preparation of the move.
- Return any borrowed items such as library books, and retrieve all borrowed items.
- Prepare car registrations for transfer if you are moving to another state.
- Transfer all prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
1 WEEK before Moving Day
- Confirm you PODS container pickup, delivery date and address at your new home. Call 1800 467 637.
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you.
- Assemble a backpack with your cheque book, credit cards, phone records, identification, torch, keys, mobile phone charger, small camera, toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, travel alarm clock, bottled water, first aid kit and games for the kids.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Pack a portable TV/stereo as you may not get around to unpacking and connecting that big screen TV for a few days.
- Make child care arrangements for moving day.
THE DAY before Moving Day
- Make sure your PODS container padlock keys are in your possession.
- Have an adequate amount of cash for any travel expenses you cannot pay for with a credit card.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day. Use the empty space to store household items.
- Vacuum and make arrangements for disposing of any remaining rubbish.
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances. Separate anything that will travel in your car.
- Pack an esky with drinks and snacks if you are traveling by car.
- Pack a box of items that you will need right away at your new home and label this box “load last.” Place closest to the PODS container door so that you can access it right away.
- Check every room, cabinet, cupboard and garage one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- Are you moving with Pets? If traveling with you, make sure you have an adequate supply of food, medications, leashes, travel cage and water dish packed in the car.
- Take note of your utility readings.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any items left behind and forward any stray mail.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unforeseen event.
- Be sure someone is at your new home when your PODS container is delivered.
- Ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check your possessions carefully as soon as possible to make sure nothing has moved during transit.