Tips For Choosing The Right Removalist
Moving house is stressful. To minimise stress, ensure that you hire the right moving or removalist service for your needs. By hiring a reputable professional moving service, you will or minimise the worry about poor service and unfulfilled promises during this stressful time. Featured below are seven tips for choosing the right removalist service for your next move.
Know what sort of moving service you need
Different circumstances make for different types of moves. It is important to be clear on how you want to move, then find the right company. The right choice will make for an easier, safer and cost efficient move.
What sort of move are you doing?
- Are you looking to pack and move from one home to another in the same day? Then you are probably looking for a local removalist service.
- Are you moving local or interstate? Some companies offer both services, others specialise. An interstate move is a big move, so be sure to feel confident with the company you choose.
- Do you want to pack at your own pace, taking time to sort and declutter before your move? Moving containers, delivered right to your home, may be the right moving solution for you, as once packed, you just make a phone call and the container is moved to your new home. And these companies will generally move both local and interstate.
- Do you need to store your belongings between moves, while you wait for settlement, building, renovations or travel? And do you need the flexibility of being able to reduce or extend your storage time if your circumstances change? Again, moving containers offer a very flexible option here.
- Are you moving high-value items such as precious artworks or large musical instruments? Discuss these items and their value with the moving companies. You may need to hire separate services for special items.
Whatever your type of move, there will be the right company offering the right service for you. The internet is a great place to start your research, and while you do that, keep the tips below in mind. A little extra research and planning now will save a lot of heartache during and after your move.
Ask for Recommendations
Ask friend and family who they have used in the past, and who they would recommend to help with your next move. Coworkers and real estate agents are also a good referral source.
When they recommend a company, ask them why. Did the moving company represent good value? were they on time and did they deliver what they promised. Visit the company’s website and read their reviews and testimonials. You are about to trust your most prized possessions with a stranger, to move them safely from one location to another, you want to be sure that you can trust them. A word-of-mouth referral can sometimes be the best way to find the right service.
Do your Research
Take time to research the moving companies you are considering hiring. This will also give you time to plan you move.
How long have they been in business? Do they offer customer testimonials and reviews? Do they offer a range of services? Can they offer flexibility if something happens mid-move and you need additional support?
Generally, if a company has been around for a while, it has demonstrated a track record of reliable, continual service. The internet is a great resource for looking for reviews and testimonials. You may come across articles about the company you are considering that could provide insight into the quality of their service and overall reputation.
Associations and industry bodies can be another helpful resource when reseaching you moving company options. For example:
Look for the Best Value, not the Cheapest Price in a moving company
Moving is an expensive exercise. You want to do it right, and with minimal fuss and damage. Be wary of cheap operators. You want to know that the company you are trusting to move you has a strong and solid reputation. You want to know that they have well maintained trucks and equipment; and trained and responsible staff who know the business and can assist you through the process.
Cheap and cheerful operators may not be able to offer you this peace of mind.
Know what extra services are available from the moving company
The best moving companies generally offer a range of services including packing/unpacking services, storage options, insurance and packing materials. If they do not provide these services directly, they should be able to refer you to trusted professional services.
Does the moving company offer flexibility? You may need flexibility if there is a delay in contract settlement or sale; or if you are building or renovating your home. Flexibility means that you may be able to store your possessions at the company’s storage facility, or reduce or extend service periods as needed.
Checklists and more information
We can’t overstate how important it is to research and plan for your next move. We know how overwhelming it can be – it is a job we do every day. To help, you may also find these other checklists and articles useful in planning and getting organised for your move:
- Moving checklist
- Checklist and tips for interstate moving
- 9 steps for planning for an interstate move
- Storage checklist
- How to declutter and present your hame
- The house sold, now what? 7 Helpful Moving Tips
You can also call us on 1800 467 637 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Customer Team is available Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm and Saturday 8:00am – 12:00pm.
So, if you’re looking for the easiest way to move or store your possessions, and you want control over a flexible service, please visit our website.
PODS moving containers come in 3 sizes, suitable for the smallest or biggest moving job. Hire just one container, or hire multiple. Our team will help you work out how much moving storage you need, or have a look at our storage calculator.